Saturday, August 05, 2006

Brazilian-style soccer and a new toy

Busy week. I'm getting used to them. Four Nozomi rides and a devastating mid week Karaoke session was what happened this week. Managed to have all three credit/cash cards bounce also because of some weird technical mishap.

Got my first paycheck this week. Because the bank had some issues accepting my business it took a while to get a bank account. Can't blame them really, I would have done the same thing if a foreigner that:
1. Only has a temporary address (which he claims to be moving from shortly)
2. Can only show that he has applied for the foreigner card, not the actual card
3. Do not have a new address to give
would come asking to open an account. With those small issues sorted it was all happy faces.

Getting two months pay plus signing bonus in one payment means that there is now more money than what is healthy in my account. So, what to do? Buy a toy, naturally. The latest addition is a Ipod Nano 4gb with an add on FM transmitter. So now I can harass our sales force with Swedish music when traveling somewhere by car. I have no idea how I have managed to survive without an Ipod...

I have started playing soccer every Sunday. Or well, I went there last Sunday and I plan on going tomorrow. Last Sunday was a three hour kickabout session in 30+ degrees. Drank three liters of fluid and still lost 1 kg (yes, I did weigh myself before going there and after. Why is a good question.). Good mix of people. 30% Japanese 35% Brazilian and the rest people from random parts of Europe with the British iles dominating. Because of this the game was very strange. The Europeans played British style, the Japanese in the characteristic Japanese way and the Brazilians was mainly playing around. Some of those Brazilians can play. I got treated to (or humiliated with) three tunnels and one back-heel flip over my head. Stuff I never ever saw when playing in Sweden. On the other hand the South Americans can hardly be accused of being effective or to have any larger interest in defense.

Without doubt this mix of people for a friendly soccer match exists only in Japan , kids!

2 comments:

Kumadude said...

Don't beat yourself up about the bank account-thing. I had my alien registration card in hand and an address I didn't intend to leave for quite a while when I started on that particular adventure. In spite of this, I had to try three different branches (of two separate banking conglomegarations) until I found one that accepted my custom. Thank you Sumitomo Mitsui!

Martinsson said...

So you have finally joined the Japanese sporting scene. We're still waiting for your debut in the Japanese Floorball league :)